Cyclist will notice a bunch amazing improvements along Harbord Street this week.
First, there is the bike box. Bike boxes allow cyclists to “pool” in front of cars at stop lights. This is helps avoid collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles, particularly with right-turning cars. Both cyclists and motorist should love the new boxes.
Approved in April/May at City Council, this area of Toronto will see four sets of bike boxes: Harbord/Hoskin and St. George, Spadina and Harbord, College and St. George, and College and Spadina. So far, only Harbord/Hoskin and St. George has been installed:
Bike Box at Harbord/Hoskin and St George
The bike boxes come from Portland, which are slightly different from our Toronto version:
Bike Box in Portland, on Hawthorne
BikeSauce, along with Bikechain and the Transportation Sub-Committee of the Sustainability Office Advisory Board at UofT, are working together to submit recommendations on the bike boxes. Included in these recommendations are using coloured paint (like in Portland), adding a “bicycle excepted” sign to the “no right on red” and to repaint the line that marks the separation of through-traffic and left-turning traffic in the boxes. Also, we’re working on a public education campaign, where we pass out the City’s flyers to road users. Wanna join us? Then shoot us an email…
Continue reading Harbord Street Loves Bikes (Even More than Before)
YOUR CITY, YOUR VOTE
They’re here! They’re here! Municipal Elections are here, Monday October 25!!!
* Why should I vote? What are municipal issues? *
Municipal issues include: streets (including bicycle and pedestrian
infrastructure), public libraries, parks, child care, housing, community
centres, community health centres, public transit, (tap) water, garbage collection and more!!!
* Am I eligible to vote? *
You can vote [...]
1. Elections! Monday October 25
2. BikeSauce Party!!! Friday Oct 22, 7pm
3. BikeSauce Fall Alleycat Race! Friday Oct 22, 6pm
4. Amazing Library Update — New Books!
5. BIXI Reaches 1,000 Members!
6. Bike Ride for Bike Lanes on Bloor: Sat Oct 23, 12-1:30
Continue reading Sauce Weekly: Oct 22
The days are getting shorter and shorter, but we will keep on riding! So we still have tons of fun things to do: meetings, parties, fundraisers, letter-writing campaigns and so much more!
1. October Volunteer Meeting: TONIGHT! Wednesday, October 13, 7pm
2.BikeSauce Fall Alleycat Race! Friday, October 22, 6pm
3. BikeSauce Party!!! Friday October 22, 9pm
4. Support BIXI Toronto — and a newcomer!
5. BIXI 1,000 Subscribers Party: Monday, October 18, 6:30pm
6. Submit TTC Comments
7. Bike Boxes are here!!!
Continue reading Sauce Weekly: Oct 13
Looks like Sauce Weekly just packed up its bags and headed out of town for awhile. And didn’t tell anyone. The nerve, right?!?!? We know… But Sauce Weekly is back today and ready for action! This week:
1. October Volunteer Meeting: Wednesday, October 13, 7pm
2. Dandyhorse Launch Party! Thursday, October 7, 8pm
3. Bike Union BIKE Drinks: Thursday, October 7, 6:30 – 8:30pm
4. BikeSauce was in Shameless Magazine!
5. BIXI 1,000 Members Party! Monday, October 18, 6:30pm
6. Elections are coming! Bike Union Releases Analysis of Candidates
Continue reading Sauce Weekly: Oct 6